Monday, April 11, 2011

Spring!

What keeps happening to my paragraphs??? Got to the barn to feed Sunday morning after being out of town for about 5 days. It was about 80 and sunny, a great change from the chilly, overcast Chicago weather I'd been in the past few days. Took my time with the feeding and just enjoyed being with the horses. Once everyone was fed, B and I headed to Metzger's. They carry Purina feeds which is what they feed at the new barn in Birmingham. I am switching him over now since his current feed is a bit of a hassle and it's easier for me to switch him myself. My choices are Ultium, Strategy or Omelene. Omelene was out since I don't want him on a sweet feed. I was thinking Ultium would be the winner, since I have heard great things about it. When I told the lady who worked there that Jay is an easy keeper though, she adivsed that he likely wouldn't need the Ultium and would do fine on Strategy. She was super helpful and we also talked about his workload. There were 2 different types of Strategy: the "regular" one and another that I forget the name of, but it had amplify and rice bran in it. I chose the "regular" one since that is what's available at the new barn. If I feel he needs something extra I can always add a supplement to his SmartPak since the electrolytes will be provided by the barn. I don't think that will happen since he has always been an easy keeper. Started the switch at his PM feeding yesterday and he'll be completely on Strategy before next week. I am just a bit worried, but I think that's just because I've never been in a situation where I had complete control over his feed. He looked a bit too skinny when I brought him in this evening. I just have to remind myself that I can esaily up the amount he's getting, or switch over to the Ultium if need be. Grass is also coming up and the pasture he's on puts weight on him fast. Would have liked to ride today, but it was pouring rain. 7 weeks until I have an indoor with a covered walkway from the barn. But for now I'll just keep riding every time it's possible!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for new feed! And wow, a covered walkway to the indoor? Living the high life, I'm jealous! Keep us updated on the feed situation and how it's working out for Jay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Well it is as unfancy as a covered walkway can be... but I will certainly be appreciating it!

    ReplyDelete