Monday, April 18, 2011

I love my farrier

I consider myself to have have been very lucky thus far in terms of having a good team of horse professionals. Back on Long Island, I had a great trainer, great vets and great farriers. When I moved to Kentucky, I found a great vet and after one so-so farrier I found K. My favorite farrier so far! Not only is he good at what he does, I'm not intimidated to call him, he either answers or calls back immediately (!!), and is generally on time. Previous farriers had been great at what they did, but not so great on the people skills, calling back, being on time (or the right day). I think K does it by scheduling the next visit at the current visit (what a concept!) among other things. He's easy to talk to and I like his horss philosophy. I find while talking to him that we think alike in a lot of horsey ways... which can make for some good laughs. He treats my horse the same way I try to; patient, kind but firm.

So today I got to the barn and went to bring Jay in for a ride. His left front shoe was clanging the whole way to the gate. Great. Called K on the way into the barn and left a message... Jay's shoe was loose, only held on by 2 nails and those 2 nails were too tight for me to get it off myself without messing his foot up. Got a call back within 20 minutes. Luckily, he was at a barn that could put him past us on his way home. Less than 2 hours after I had called him, Jay's shoe was back on nice and tight, no charge. K told Jay to keep his shoes on this time. Certainly wouldn't have gotten it fixed this quickly if he hadn't been close, but REALLY appreciated the effort to stop by on his way home to fix my pony. Now I don't have to worry about the bootie I was going to rig up staying on tonight!

2 comments:

  1. K IS a wonderful farrier, and I'm glad he was nearby for Jay! I wonder if he'd commute to Bham for you :D

    ReplyDelete